The Great Gatsby Trailer: Leo + Baz, Together Again
The first trailer for Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby has arrived, and yup — this looks exactly like what Baz Luhrmann's Great Gatsby should look like: A richly stylized 1920s New York, Jazz Age nightclubs swirling with beaded flappers a la Moulin Rouge, star-crossed lovers exchanging torrid looks across impossibly polished sets, the anachronistic sounds of Kanye & Jay-Z & Frank Ocean... Not to mention Leonardo DiCaprio looking mighty fine in his first broodingly romantic role in over a decade. Soak up the moody art deco stylings and weigh in on Lurhmann's Christmas 3-D offering after the jump!
Everything about this trailer screams Luhrmann, and after a jarring initial viewing I'd say that's a good thing. Your mileage may vary, but after watching it over again a few times, I can't imagine seeing it any other way. Things I love the more I hit replay:
· The use of "No Church in the Wild" to open the trailer — I'm starting to think a little Watch the Throne would be strangely fitting if it made it into the actual film.
· The bright, hyper-stylized look of Baz Luhrmann's New York.
· Newcomer Elizabeth Debicki as Jordan Baker.
· Carey Mulligan as Daisy and the way she dangles that delicate cigarette like a weapon.
· The look on DiCaprio's face at 0:52.
· Joel Edgerton, even with that mustache.
Verdict: Looks so great I almost forgot Tobey Maguire's in this thing. Marking the calendar for Christmas 2012 anyway.