Friday Box Office: Sherlock Stomps Alvin on Another Sleepy Friday
What is going on out there, people? All these franchises and rehashes at the multiplex, and Hollywood can't interest you in any of them? Last week it was the aromatic anti-charm of New Year's Eve falling flat on opening weekend, and now new installments of Sherlock Holmes and Alvin and the Chipmunks are limping along at the front of the pack? At least Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol showed signs life in limited IMAX release, but ugh. Next week's Christmas harvest couldn't come soon enough, but for now, your Friday Box Office is here.
1. SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS: $14,700,000 (new)
2. ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS: CHIPWRECKED: $6,800,000 (new)
3. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL: $4,110,000 (new)
4. NEW YEAR'S EVE: $2,530,000 ($19,936,000)
5. THE SITTER: $1,435,000 ($14,756,000)
[Figure via Box Office Mojo]