Friday Box Office: New Year's Eve Fizzles in First
What the saying again? You can fool some moviegoers all the time and all moviegoers some of the time, but you can't fool all of them all the time? Something like that -- maybe we should ask Warner Bros., Garry Marshall and all the stars stuffed so ruthlessly into New Year's Eve, who recycled the model that earned the aromatic Valentine's Day a $56 million opening weekend and found less than a third of that crowd ready to fall for it again. Still, it will be enough for first place on a pillow-soft weekend. Your Friday Box Office is here.
1. NEW YEAR'S EVE: $5,080,000 (new)
2. THE SITTER: $3,725,000 (new)
3. THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN PART 1: $2,500,000 ($254,083,000)
4. THE MUPPETS: $1,664,000 ($60,427,000)
5. HUGO: $1,600,000 ($28,964,000)
[Figures via Box Office Mojo