Friday Box Office: Contagion Spreads Like Wildfire
Don't let the PG-13s fool you: Adults have taken over the box office. For the fifth consecutive week, a sophisticated film more reliant on story, casting and filmmaking than it is on VFX bloat, franchise bulk and/or superhero ardor has claimed the No. 1 slot. Meanwhile, the late-summer phenomenon that it supplanted came in second, and you don't even want to know where the puerile Bucky Larson wound up. (Or maybe you do. Hint: Not in the top 10!) This is your Friday Box Office.
1. CONTAGION: $8,000,000 (new)
2. THE HELP: $2,600,000 ($137,400,000)
3. WARRIOR: $2,000,000 (new)
4. THE DEBT: $1,500,000 ($21,600,000)
5. COLOMBIANA: $1,200,000 ($29,000,000)
TBD. BUCKY LARSON: BORN TO BE A STAR: $500,000 (new)