Vince Vaughn Will Lay the Favorite, and 5 Other Stories You'll Be Talking About Today
Also in this Friday edition of The Broadsheet: Ryan Gosling re-teams with his Blue Valentine director... The Three Stooges finds its latest cast member in Heaven... Nicolas Cage was cleared of all charges... and more ahead.
· Just in time for Saturday's Kentucky Derby comes news on the next great gambling film: Vince Vaughn has been added to the increasingly impressive cast of Stephen Frears' Lay the Favorite. The funnyman will play a Long Island bookie named Rosie in this adaptation of Beth Raymer's gambling memoir. Bruce Willis, Rebecca Hall and Catherine Zeta-Jones co-star. [Deadline]
· Speaking of Catherine Zeta-Jones: The Rebound -- her long-shelved cougar-y rom-com with Justin Bartha -- may head straight to DVD, if it gets released at all. The Film Department -- which financed The Rebound -- will be closing down, meaning the only way the Zeta-Jones film will ever see consumer eyeballs is if another studio buys it out of hock. [LAT/24 Frames]
· Ryan Gosling must have had a good time making Blue Valentine. He's attached to co-star in the crime drama The Place Beyond the Pines from Valentine director Derek Cianfrance. Busy devil Bradley Cooper is being courted for the film as well. [Variety]
· Stephen Collins -- best known as the dad from 7th Heaven -- will co-star in The Three Stooges for Peter and Bobby Farrelly. Initial reports claimed that he was set to play the villain, but that has been shot down. For now. (Cue: ominous thunderclaps.) [Variety]
· Arthur Laurents, who wrote West Side Story, Gypsy and The Way We Were, passed away on Thursday at the age of 93. He reportedly died in his sleep. [Deadline]