TV Bites: Katherine Heigl Checks Out of Grey's Anatomy
· Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes has reportedly agreed to finally release Katherine Heigl from Seattle Grace. The actress, who has taken public swipes at the ABC drama for keeping her on set for 17-hour days and giving her material that she did not deem Emmy-worthy, took maternity leave earlier this year after adopting a daughter. The actress was scheduled to return to set March 1 to finish episodes for the sixth season, but both Heigl and ABC reportedly came to a mutual decision that she not tape anymore episodes, meaning that viewers have already seen the last of Izzie Stevens. [EW]
Jon Voight channels a Texan for television, VH1 designs its most demeaning dating show yet, and more TV Bites after the jump.
· Jon Voight has joined Fox's drama pilot Midland. The project centers on Bob (Jimmy Wolk), a con artist juggling two lives in two Texas cities with two women (Adrianne Palicki, Eloise Mumford), one of whom (Palicki), is the daughter of a Texas legend (Voight), described as a gravelly voiced titan equally at home in boots or a three-piece suit. [THR]
· Exciting news for sports fans who also enjoy contrived dating shows. Chad Ochocinco, the Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver who is competing in this season of Dancing with the Stars, is getting his own shot at love on VH1. The Tournament, will feature Ochocinco as he travels the country meeting 85 potential dates, then narrowing down the group to four women representing each of the Northern, Western, Southern and Central parts of the country. The 16 finalists will then compete in a "tournament-style dating competition," with the woman facing off against each other in double dates. [THR]
· Arianna Huffington will make a cameo in the May 10 episode of How I Met Your Mother. [EW]
· Drew Pinsky may not have gotten to Corey Haim in time to "save him" in front of a dozen Celebrity Rehab cameras, but the television doctor is hoping he can get a hold of rapper DMX, who violated his probation by using drugs. [TMZ]