TV Bites: Debra Messing Weighs Wright vs. Wrong for ABC
· This morning, a veteran sitcom star returns to the network mix. Debra Messing, last seen in USA's The Starter Wife, has been cast as the lead in ABC's comedy pilot Wright vs. Wrong. The half-hour project, written by Stephnie Weir (MadTV) centers on a driven conservative pundit who tries to maintain her public persona despite facing her own vulnerabilities. Messing will also executive produce the project. [THR]
NBC finds the next black president, Shit My Dad Says casts another star, and more TV Bites after the jump.
· Blair Underwood has been cast as the president in The Event, an NBC pilot about a large-scale government cover-up. Underwood joins Jason Ritter, Laura Innes, Scott Patterson and Sarah Roemer in the drama, written by Nick Wauters. [Variety]
· Lucky tweeter Justin Halpern has cast Ryan Devlin as his TV avatar for the CBS comedy pilot Shit My Dad Says. Devlin, who was seen on ABC's Cougar Town this season, will star opposite William Shatner as a cranky father-son duo. Nicole Sullivan will also star as the sister-in-law of Devlin's character. [THR]
· In other ABC casting news, Ugly Betty actress Ana Ortiz will join the network's drama pilot True Blue, Alicia Witt will play the female lead in another ABC drama Edgar Floats and Will Yun Lee has been cast as the lead in the network's untitled Richard Hatem drama pilot. [THR]
· There are whispers at ABC that Dana Delaney might leave Desperate Housewives to star in a pilot for the network. [THR]
· Meredith Vieira has extended her contract with Today through 2011. [Variety]