Gerard Butler Runs Off With Ralph Fiennes' Shakesperean Troupe
· Gerard Butler is officially attached to co-star in Ralph Fiennes' directorial debut Coriolanus, a contemporary riff on the Roman political drama by William Shakespeare. He will portray Tullus Aufidius, the commander of the Volscian army and reliably shouty nemesis of the title character. Keeping in mind Butler's '09 triptych of Ugly Truth/Gamer/Law Abiding Citizen, the move underscores just how dramatically the scourge of inflation has impacted many A-listers' "one for them, one for me" philosophy. [THR]
Cedar Rapids welcomes a few new inhabitants, Helen Mirren signs up for intrigue, and more Hollywood Ink after the jump.
· A week after Anne Heche joined the already-bulging ensemble cast of the Ed Helms comedy Cedar Rapids, the producers roped in Sigourney Weaver, John C. Reilly and Alia Shawkat for a few remaining open spots. Weaver will play Helms's seventh-grade teacher; Reilly and Shawkat's roles have not been specified, but at the rate this thing is casting, they might just be dropping in as extras. [Variety]
· It was about time for Helen Mirren to get on the comic-book adaptation bandwagon: She'll co-star in Red, doubling the Oscar clout already lent by Morgan Freeman (with Bruce Willis co-starring) in the tale of a CIA retiree thrust back into the espionage game when an assassin comes looking for him. [Variety]
· Ryan Seacrest is producing Bank of Hollywood, an E! series in which a panel of celebs give away their own money to a revolving door of peculiar charity cases. Among those featured on the show: Candy Spelling, poker player Vanessa Rousso, Wilhelmina Models president Sean Patterson and Pussycat Dolls singer Melody Thornton. I'll leave it you to determine who's giving and who's receiving. [THR]
· DreamWorks is fast-tracking development of Robopocalypse, a yet-to-be-published manuscript by Daniel H. Wilson exploring "the fate of the human race after a robot uprising." Sure, it's hardly original, but it was hell of a lot cheaper than buying the Terminator franchise. [THR]