Is A Star is Born Finally Born Again at Warners?
· Warner Bros. is attempting once again to revive its enduring property A Star is Born, which has supported three previous versions with leading-lady showcases including Judy Garland and Barbra Streisand. Word that Will Fetters has been assigned the umpteenth crack at a reboot will no doubt stimulate a whole new round of murmurs in Beyonce Knowles's camp; she's been a rumored front-runner for the pop-ingenue melodrama for years. And anyway, let's face it: You're happy for Garland and Streisand, but Beyonce would have the best Star is Born incarnation of ALL TIME. [THR]
Paul Dano meets Tom Cruise in Wichita, ABC surges big-time, and more Hollywood Ink after the jump.
· Paul Dano is the latest actor to join the Film Formerly Known as Wichita, the Tom Cruise-Cameron Diaz action-comedy about an unlikely duo's search for a battery with world-threatening implications. Dano will play the "charming but mysterious scientist" who invented said battery. [Variety]
· It's not a bad time to be at ABC, where Modern Family and Cougar Town this week had the highest ratings of any comedy premieres in two years. The network celebrated by picking up the pilot Friends With Benefits from (500) Days of Summer screenwriters Scott Neustadter and Michael Weber, and then made a deal with Jerry Bruckheimer for the high-concept non-linear cop procedural Hopscotch. Congrats! I think? [THR]
· The normally taciturn Bob Weinstein had plenty to reassure Hollywood about this morning, promising up one side and down the other that his Dimension Films label is going to get back to franchise properties (Scream, Spy Kids), retreads (Short Circuit, An American Werewolf in London) and 3-D blends of both (Hellraiser, Halloween 3) just as soon as he gets The Road and all these silly art house projects out of the pipeline. [Variety]
· Something called Rising India has committed $40 million to making an animated retelling of Noah's Ark from the animals' point of view. It's not due until 2011, but I can smell the Delgo from here. [Variety]