Whitney Houston's Shocking Oprah Revelations: Drug Recipe, Spitting, and Bobbi Kristina's Trip to Rehab
Whether or not you caught this afternoon's Oprah Winfrey Show premiere featuring a Whitney Houston interview so juicy that it had to be broken into two parts (the other airs tomorrow), rest assured that Movieline has compiled Houston's most shocking revelations for you to use during tomorrow's water-cooler discussion. After the jump, find everything from Houston's How-To Guide on smoking rock cocaine to her definition of physical abuse (that conveniently excludes Bobby's spitting and hitting) to Bobbi Kristina's own visit to rehab.
It's no secret that Whitney Houston is a difficult interview subject. She made a mockery of Diane Sawyer during a combative 20/20 interview and cussed out a prying Wendy Williams in the radio host's definitive interview. So how did Winfrey open Houston's floodgates? It helped that she staged the interview in the memory-packed Town Hall theater (where Houston first became aware of her talent) and did something that no other interviewer has done: validated Houston's bizarre attraction to Bobby Brown. Citing hers own interview with Brown a decade earlier, Winfrey said that she "understood" how Brown could be "alluring." Vindicated, Houston opened up for her most revealing, drug-a-licious confessions to date. Here are the nine biggest:
1. Whitney's Own Marijuana Rock Cocaine Recipe: "You put your marijuana, you lace it, you roll it up and you smoke it," Houston explained. "We didn't have a glass or doing the pipe-smoking, we didn't get that far." For Brown's variation on the recipe, just add alcohol.
2. There Was No Crack On Whitney and Bobby's Drug Schedule: "We didn't do no crack. We weren't buying like $20 jumbles. We were buying -- paying money. We were buying ounces and we had our schedule."
3. Oprah's Not Really Up On Today's Drug World: After Winfrey asked a series of fumbling questions about Houston's drug habits, even the television audience full of suburban housewives grew embarrassed. Houston had to carefully explain just how she consumed the crack to a disbelieving Winfrey: "You put it in your marijuana pipe. Stay with me here, Oprah."
4. Whitney Was So Drug-Addicted That She Forgot About Her Voice: "I had so much money at that point, it was like phssss."
5. When You See the Hatred in Bobby Brown's Eyes, Understand that He Only Feels That Way Because He Loves You: After Winfrey asked Houston what was the most awful thing Brown ever said to her, the singer talked about the time when Bobbi Kristina walked in on her inebriated father spitting on her mother ("He spit on me, in my face"). Soon after, Brown swore at Whitney in front of her parents. Oh, and this was the night that Whitney threw him a birthday party that she'd paid for.
6. Whitney's Definition of Physical Abuse: When asked if Brown was physically abusive, Houston responded, "Oh physically [abusive]? No way. No, no way." Buuuuuuut, she later revealed that there was that one time when Brown pushed her against a wall in a "hateful, ugly" moment and Houston reciprocated by slamming him on the head with a telephone, drawing blood. And he slapped her once. And there was the spitting thing (see above).
7 Bobby's Pick-Up Line: Houston denied that her relationship with Brown was strategic: "I was at a Soul Train Awards show. He came onstage to do 'My Prerogative.' He was fly. He could move, man." Brown's smooth come-on to Houston? "Something like, 'Hey check this out. Let me ask you something?'"
8. Bobby Will Cheat And He Doesn't Care If You Know: Not caring to even cover his tracks, Brown freely used Houston's credit cards to charge his expenses for other women.
9. Whitney, Bobby, and Bobbi Kristina Have Been to Rehab: Houston admitted that she told Bobbi Kristina about her parents' drug use and brought her to an Atlanta drug rehabilitation center for mothers and daughters. "I don't lie to her," she claimed.
The rest of Whitney's interview and her emotional performance of "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" will air tomorrow.