Discuss: There Will Actually Be a Rambo 5
· Among your talking points: Sylvester Stallone will return to star and direct a fifth installment of the Rambo series. Stallone turned 63 years old last month; the film will open after his 64th birthday. The previous Rambo film last year grossed $42 million domestically and $113 million overseas. The film already has six producers and executive producers on board (with likely more to come), spearheaded by Nu Image/Millennium schlock kingpin Avi Lerner. Did I mention Stallone turned 63 last month? [Variety]
More uplifting franchise rehash news, a Nicolas Cage 3D adventure, and more Hollywood Ink after the jump.
· Columbia has hired screenwriter Peter Craig to have a go at Bad Boys 3, a potential project in which stars Will Smith, Martin Lawrence and director Michael Bay have all expressed interest since 2003's blockbuster sequel. Which isn't to suggest that the film will actually be made; it'll cost north of $150 million after salaries figure in, and Bay already has Transformers 3, a James Frey adaptation and a thriving Victoria's Secret ad franchise to consider. That said, it's really up to Smith and Lawrence, who have until they're at least 63 years old to make a decision. [THR]
· Bob Weinstein was probably counting on a better showing than third place for Halloween 2 when he offered the LAT an exclusive scoop on Halloween 3D, but there you have it. The threequel is already in development; Rob "The Blob" Zombie still won't return, but an unnamed new director is reportedly close to a deal. [LAT]
· Mazel tov to Jeff Robinov, who will do another tour of duty as president of the Warner Bros. Pictures Group. [DHD]
· More 3D, more Avi Lerner: Nicolas Cage will star in Nu Image/Millennium's Drive Angry, a violent actioner featuring the star as a man chasing the savages who killed his daughter and kidnapped her baby. "The vendetta/rescue spins out of control as the chase gets bloodier by the mile, leaving bodies strewn along the highway," explains one report, but hold it just a second: Sylvester Stallone can portray Rambo a fifth time at age 63, and Nicolas Cage is playing a vengeful grandpa? I'm going back to bed. [THR]