Denzel Washington's Unstoppable Not Living Up to its Name
· Fox took one look at the lagging grosses for The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, and then a look at the sizable budget for Tony Scott and Denzel Washington's next runaway-train project Unstoppable (also featuring breakout star Chris Pine). Then the studio laughed, urging the principals to come back when they meant business. Think of it like Moneyball redux, but with an even tougher studio sniffing at an much more marketable concept. Can we just end the recession, already? This is getting depressing. [THR]
Amy Adams goes to the fights, Dicks adds a pair, and much more Hollywood Ink after the jump.
· Amy Adams has signed on to join Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg in The Fighter, assuming a role as the next actress to lament a fraught David O. Russell film that may or may not ever be finished. She has big shoes to fill; wish her luck! [Variety]
· The Bruce Willis/Tracy Morgan comedy A Couple of Dicks added on to its supporting cast, with director Kevin Smith inviting Michelle Trachtenberg to portray Willis's daughter and Jason Lee to play her stepfather. I know, I know -- you'd hoped for Jason Mewes in the latter role, anticipating an epic generational showdown over Trachtenberg's curfew and an appropriate length for her skirts. Sorry. [Variety]
· Guy Pearce will likely play Katie Holmes's boyfriend in the upcoming remake of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, doubting her and his young daughter's (Bailee Madison) suspicion of demons in their house. [THR]
· Finally, there's good news and bad news. First the bad: TV and commercial production in Los Angeles is still way off last year's pace, down 50% and 48% from levels at this time in 2008. [LAT]
· The good? Chris Kattan to the rescue in The Middle, his first post-SNL series gig! Insert relieved sigh here. [THR]