Lil Wayne Fails in His Doc-Blocking Gangsta Efforts
Adam Bhala Lough's Lil Wayne documentary The Carter debuted at this year's Sundance, where it proved to be an entertaining and mostly uncritical detailing of the New Orleans rap virtuoso's tipping-point. (That would be the release of Tha Carter III, current sales: 3 million and counting.) Somewhere between then and now, Weezy decided he wasn't entirely happy with the film's depiction of his sizzurp-sipping lifestyle, and sued to prevent Quincy Jones' QD3 Entertainment from releasing it.
We've now received a QD3 press release announcing that Lil's efforts have been thwarted by L.A. Superior Court Judge Michael S. Mink:
"Within the past couple of weeks Lil Wayne was denied a temporary restraining order against the film's release by one judge. This week a second judge denied his request for a preliminary injunction." [...]
"We're very pleased with the court's decision," Jones said. "We made a great film, which was incredibly well received at Sundance, and showcases Lil Wayne's extraordinary talent."
Wayne's initial complaint was that he had been denied approval over the contents of the film, which seems to us somewhat mind-boggling as Carter contains the most fawning cinematic depiction of a rock star in recent memory. Either cough syrup drives you to paranoia, or there's something else afoot here. After all, there's really no downside to retitling your utterly uncontroversial release with the far more titillating, The Carter: The Lil Wayne Doc Lil Wayne Didn't Want You to See.
The full text of the press release:
LIL WAYNE INJUNCTION OF 'THE CARTER' DENIED
Sundance Film Festival Favorite Free to Seek Distribution
Los Angeles, CA (April 21, 2008) - QD3 Entertainment's Quincy Jones III today announced that Lil Wayne's efforts to prevent the release of the critically acclaimed documentary, The Carter, have been rejected. Within the past couple of weeks Lil Wayne was denied a temporary restraining order against the film's release by one judge. This week a second judge denied his request for a preliminary injunction. Following these two rulings in its favor, QD3 Entertainment is now free to seek distribution and release of the film theatrically, on dvd and in any other medium or format. QD3 Entertainment will be working closely with its sales agent, Cinetic Media, to maximize distribution opportunities for the film.
QD3's attorneys, Edward Woods of Browne Woods George LLP stated that there was never any factual or legal basis for trying to enjoin the film's distribution and release and that this appeared to be a desperate effort by Lil Wayne to block an honest depiction of his life.
"We're very pleased with the court's decision" said Quincy Jones III (QD3). "We made a great film, which was incredibly well received at Sundance, and showcases Lil Wayne's extraordinary talent. We're looking forward to releasing the film so audiences can see this documentary film Adam Bhala Lough has made."
The film was shot in 2008 with full cooperation from Lil Wayne, who offered the filmmakers unprecedented access to his tour bus, hotels, shows and press tours. The film was an official selection of the 2009 Sundance Film Festival, and received critical acclaim, before Wayne sought an injunction.